Monday, August 17, 2009

Meet the Seller - Heleen Webb -Ruby in the Dust


Heleen Webb of Ruby in the Dust is a regular at the Devonport Craft Market. She shares a little bit about what she does and her inspirations. You can see Heleen and her beautiful wares at the next Market on Sept 6th.


How long have you been involved in your craft

I've been selling my work for about a year and a half now.

What is your craft

My main products are brooches, pocket mirrors, covered buttons and zip pouches made with vintage embroidery; rebound Little Golden Books and vintage illustration stickers. I also make peg dolls, kids' dress-up tails and crowns, fabric bags and whatever takes my fancy at the time. I get bored if I make too much of the same thing, so there's usually something new on my table every month.

How did you get started creating

I come from a very practical, creative family and has always been interested in art, especially textile design. It's only in the last few years since I had my boys and became a stay-at-home mum that I've been able to indulge my hobbies of sewing, doll-making and general crafting.

What inspires you?

I am very easily inspired! It's usually the pattern or colour of a piece of fabric, good design, clever ideas, but always about beauty.

What is your favourite book

I love reading, but I don't make enough time for it. Some favourites: Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Birdsong, The Time Traveller's Wife, Where the Wild Things Are, Donna Hay's cookbooks.

What is your favourite food?

I love the simplicity and flavours of Middle-Eastern food; South African bobotie; orange and almond cake; my husband's homemade parlsey and sundried tomato pesto.

Favourite inspiration site / blog / online shop
For beautiful textile design: Ink and Spindle .
Danita Art's ethereal paintings and dolls.
Rob Ryan for delicate and meaningful papercuts.
Tiny Happy for inspiring thoughts on being a mum, crafter and combining the two.


Thanks for sharing Heleen. See you at the market!

Meet the Seller will become a regular feature on this blog so you can get some insights into the fabulous sellers we have at the Markets

1 comment: