Sunday, February 28, 2010

Meet the Seller - Shariyah Garner from Yiyah's Gallery


Meet Shariyah Garner from Yiyah's Gallery

How long have you been an artist?
I've been painting ever since I could hold a brush!           

Tell us a little of what you create?
Painting using acrylics and mixed medias on canvas and board, as well as creating art blocks with prints from my original paintings. I also sell fine art prints from my originals, gift cards, magnets, paper weights, luggage tags, and recycled bottle-cap earrings which feature a mini print from a variety of my original works.


How did you get started creating?
I was raised on a farm in Tennessee along with my parents and five sisters. We grew up without the modern forms of entertainment such as electricity, Television, radio, etc...instead we had our imaginations and the great outdoors to inspire our creativity within...that is where it started for me.

What inspires you?
The Master Creator, My husband, My family, my day-dreams, and night visions... nature, and the beauty of life. I am also inspired by the old masters, the rich, dark colour palettes, and the simple beauty of the life subjects they used.  My most recent work explores mixed media portraits, with a reniassance-like feel that embodies a spiritual or expressive essence, revealing the emotion.  The Diary of Frida Kahlo (She is an artist whom I cherish!)           

What is your favourite food?
I love real traditional ethnic foods... Thai food is amazing, and I think I could live on sushi!!           

Favourite blog or inspiration site?
I am finding so much inspiration lately from an amazing artist who I adore, Misty Mawn. A couple years ago, my mother and I had the opportunity to participate in one of her classes at The Art and Soul retreat in Oregon, USA, and since then I have continued to follow her blog and work. She often offers online drawing and painting classes, where she shares her unique techniques and beautiful talent with others! You can visit her blog at: http://mistymawn.typepad.com/


How did you come up with your stall name?
Yiyah is my nickname (and seems for some people easier to remember than my full name Shariyah) and my stall is where I showcase some of my original paintings, art work, and creations.


Apart from the Devonport Craft Market, where can people purchase your work?
My work can be purchased online at:
www.yiyah.felt.co.nz (my New Zealand Shop)
www.yiyah.etsy.com (my Etsy shop)



No comments:

Post a Comment