Monday, August 1, 2011

Meet the Seller - Koyal from Koyal Kapillia


Meet Koyal from Koyal Kapilla NZ
Koyal has been bringing her beautiful creations to the Devonport Craft Market for most of the year and creating as Koyal Kapilla NZ for the last 7 years, since the birth of her first child.


Tell us a about what you create
Funky Knitwear with a touch of crochet.  I love to knit, create different textures and mixing different yarns.  I love to push the boundaries of "typical" knitted item and making it my own.  If I can knit it, crochet it, or turn it into a piece of art or jewellery - it will be done.


When did you begin creating?
Since I can remember, I have been redesigning my clothing - much to my Mums horror. I then went to uni and got a Bachlor of Arts degree in Fashion Design specilising in Knitwear and Computer Aided Design.  From there I worked for well known knitwear companies for a while.  I decided to be a Mum as well as work from home working on my own label.  It is wonderful to be able to drop and pick up your children from kindy and school as well as be a designer.  I have named my manniquinns as well as my knitting machine and our crazy cat called "Crumble Cat Rigg" who keeps me company when the boys are at school.


What inspires you?
Art, colours, nz yarns, textures, books and most importantly, people.  Expecially my best friend Niki from Odd One Out. I love watching her paint her plates and what she comes up with next. It is very inspiring.  It is so much fun for us to go to craft fairs and all the creative people there.  We have so much talented people that do craft fairs every month and great to see and talk to them every month.


A little about you - tell us about your favourite book and food
Book(s): I am a sucker for vintage romances and this one called "Kingdonm of Dreams" by Judith MacNought.  I also love Richard North Patterson - he is so dark and disturbing as well as creating great an amazing web of characters.  I especially love his series that he did called The final Judgement, Eyes of a Child and Degree of Guilt.


Food: Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding with rich Vanilla Ice Cream -yum yum yum.


Where do you look online for inspiration?
I love Etsy - its like a whole new planet with amazing work.  Very inspiring.  I also love Felt and Toggle.  Great to purchase from your fellow crafters and support them.


When you are not at the Devonport Craft Market, where can we buy your creations?
In my FELT store, on Facebook and I sell my seconds and sale items on trademe.


Koyal has been really generous and offered a $10 voucher to spend on future orders with Koyal Kapillia NZ with every purchase made at the Devonport Craft Market in August. You will also need to mention that you read this profile!

No comments:

Post a Comment